Friday, December 31, 2010

My grantfather had an Elephant


Don't be fooled by the title...this is a statement generally made by people in Kerala to show off. The actual story is different.

It was to days before  Christmas... I was on leave..I got up late as usual...After brushing my teeth I was having a tea at the kitchen veranda... An elephant showed up in the empty plot next to my house.

This elephant works in the sawmill near by and takes bath in a stream near by my house. So he is not a stranger to me...but today he was doing something strange. He got in to the empty plot next to my house and started plucking coconut tree leaves.... it was interesting to watch.

Lot of natives gathered to see the elephant..most of them are villagers who are free most of the week days...they are directing the whole show..showing the elephant and the mahout which leaf can be plucked next.


It was more interesting to me because the elephant came very close to my house. Me, wife and mother all were watching his actions. He is very obedient...does exactly what the mahout says.

We took a lot of photographs and videos...watched till he left the scene with all the coconut tree leaves collected.

No comments: